Monday 28 April 2014

A Natureza do Mal

"That is my thesis today: that certain things are not good to read or to write. To put the point in another way: I take seriously the claim that the artist risks a great deal by venturing into forbidden places: risks, specifically, himself; risks, perhaps, all. I take this claim seriously because I take seriously the forbiddenness of forbidden places (...)
It might as well be I as the writer who hold the pen and trace the words. No one has been here before, I hear him whisper, and so I whisper too; our breath is as one. No one has been in this place since the men who died and the men who killed them. Ours is the death that will be died, ours the hand that will knot the rope. (...) What arrogance, to lay claim to the suffering and death of those pitiful men.

J. M. Coetzee, Elizabeth Costello, NY: Random House, 2003, p. 173-174.

No comments:

Post a Comment